Friday, September 03, 2010

Typhoon #7

Just like Florida has its hurricane season, Okinawa has its typhoon season. For the past three years, many typhoons have skirted around the island, but I had yet to experience a direct hit...until last Tuesday.

There were actually three typhoons in the area. Typhoons are known by their numbers and the one that hit Okinawa was Typhoon #7. The internet is calling it Typhoon Kompasu, so I guess typhoons have other names outside of Japan. Typhoon #8 is called Typhoon Lionrock. That's sure is a lot cooler than, say, Hurricane Earl.

Anyway, news reports said the storm would hit at around 160 kph, or 100 mph, and judging from all the damage in the area, I would say they were correct. I've experienced many storms in Florida, but there was a big difference this time...my housing.

Prior to the storm, I was reassured my building would be okay because, 'Okinawa buildings are made from concrete.' Great, but I soon learned that my doors were not exactly sealed for typhoon conditions. I had water leaking in and debris flying through my fan that let's out smoke when I cook, but the worst problem for me was the noise. With all my doors and windows rattling for about 4 hours, I couldn't focus on anything and just laid on my futon.

Oh, and I lost power for about 30 hours.

Here are some pictures I took the following Wednesday morning:

Some guy's destroyed office.

I helped some old men flip this back over.

How NOT to prepare your yard for a storm.

There was lots of this.

And of course, Wednesday was the first day of school. After a brief 1st period assembly, the kids spent the rest of their morning doing yard work. I made myself useful by taking pictures, of course.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

In Ameria, do school kids clean their school?

Cliff said...

Nope! We have janitors!