Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sylvia Plath and Fat Kid in 1st Grade

Remember my Sylvia Plath kindergarten student? She's the one that would sit in the back of the room and cry during my English lessons. Well, she's a 1st grader this semester, and I had hoped for an instant maturation during the transition to elementary school. Sadly, not yet. I had my first full class with 1st and 2nd graders today. Some of the 1st graders I did not have in kindergarten, so they have had absolutely no English experience. We were playing a variation of Duck, Duck, Goose changed to Hello, Hello, Goodbye, when she got picked. When she realized she had to get up and chase the other kid, she just put her head down, slumped her shoulders, and cried. I think someone needs to give 110%.

Thankfully, she'll out grow this...one day. I have this other fat kid whom I had in kindergarten and is now in the same class. His problem is simple: he's the fat kid. The kind of fat kid who would unearth a swing set. The kind of fat kid who you can't play see-saw with. After seeing his mother, I would bet money that he will ALWAYS be the fat kid.

Well, last week, I had a 15 minute class with my 1st and 2nd graders, and we just made name cards. Somehow, during this short 15 minute window, he craps his pants. Either he wasn't aware he did it or he was trying to hide that he did it to make a clean getaway later. The teacher immediately knew what happened and took him away to change. How did she know? Let's just say, it was completely OBVIOUS that he was crapping his pants as it happened.

It's always the fat kid, right?

5 comments:

Amy said...

It was my first visit to a kindergarten in Motobu. I walked into the room. I saw some poo on the floor. I saw a (thin) girl giggling and changing her pants. The teacher cleaned up the poo and apologized to me. I spent the rest of class trying to remember where the poo had been so I wouldn't step on it.

Cliff said...

haha, that sucks. at least you didn't have to clean it up!

Amy said...

Didn't Sylvia Plath kill herself by sticking her head in an oven?

Cliff said...

lol, probably. I just know she was depressive and eventually killed herself. But seriously, this girl just sits and cries ALL the time.

Dave said...

cliff, this post is awesome! the fat kid, the crier, and the crapper.. brilliant! my kindergarten isn't nearly so dramatic.