Sunday, April 06, 2008

Gangsters

Last Saturday, I was on my way downtown to meet some people for dinner. I wanted to make a right turn at a traffic light, but the turn lane was easily backed up 10-15 cars. I could see fireworks going off in the distance and a musical horn blaring randomly. As the minutes went by, and I slowly inched closer, I could see a huge group of what looked like college students just hanging around...in the street and the neighboring convenience store parking lot. I also saw one guy on a unicycle. 

I made up my mind that if they were in my way at my turn signal, I would drive at high speed while yelling out English obscenities. Lucky for them, and unfortunate for my anger outlet, the police showed up and they ran away. I told Yuka about this later, and she said they were probably a gang and it's good I didn't draw their attention to me. To me, a gang is something to fear. I just watched Ghosts of Cite Soleil, about two gang leaders in Haiti. THEY were scary. Not these clowns goofing off and holding up traffic.

0 comments: