Friday, May 02, 2008

Summer Movies

It's Friday, and Iron Man is being released in the States. For the past three movie seasons (fall, winter, spring), I have lived easily with having the closest movie theater being a 2 hour drive away. (Not including the one on the American base which I don't have a pass to get on to.) Not only is the closest movie theater far away, but by the time an American movie is released here, it's already out on DVD back home. This hasn't bothered me because all the movies I have wanted to see weren't movie-theater-movies. I haven't minded waiting 6 months for a DVD rip to become available on the internet, and then spending about 4 days downloading it. Yes, my internet speed crawls at a dial-up rate of 6 kbps.

But now it's summer, and I didn't expect to find myself wanting to see the big action movies in theaters. I loved Iron Man as a kid and the reviews for this film are going great. I don't want to wait six months for a DVD rip and then watch it on my 13 inch TV. I want to see it today! This is the kind of film you drive 2 hours and spend $15 to see. (Japanese movie tickets are expensive.)

And now that I'm looking ahead, I also want to make the drive to go see Indiana Jones, Batman, and Hellboy.

But...I can't. At least not for Iron Man. Japan usually releases the big movies at the same time as America, but Iron Man isn't coming out till September. I want to get stuffed on mexican food and margaritas, and then head up the road to AMC tonight!

0 comments: