Monday, February 11, 2008

One More Year

Lots of exciting stuff has happened over the past two weeks (well, for me anyway). First, I passed my JLPT! I scored 85% in grammar and writing, and an expected 35% in listening. Now if I could have my teachers provide me with a typed transcript of all future conversations, communication would go a lot smoother.

I have also received my blue belt in karate. Chuck Norris, here I come.

I often find myself speaking before thinking. When I found out JET was going to send me to Okinawa, there was no way I was joining the JET program. Yet, here I am. When I found out I was not getting my transfer to Fukuoka, there was no way I was going to stay another year. Yet, after another Yuka visit this weekend, we've decided it's best to do one more year. The conditions being I have to pay off my student loan and arrive in Fukuoka debt free.

My student loan debt is not large compared to some of the people here. One girl is rumored to be in the $90,000+ range. But the option of leaving in one year with no debt, versus leaving now with debt, is more appealing. In Fukuoka, my rent would be more with my salary being less.

So, one more year of blue skies and white beaches, before moving on to the concrete jungle. *sigh* I'll find a way to get through it.

1 comments:

Chi said...

I'm glad you decided to stay! Yay! And congrats on passing the JLPT!!!