Monday, February 18, 2008

English Mistake

On Saturday, a Japanese airline started down a runway at the same time another plane was landing. Apparently, the misunderstanding was an English error on the pilot's part, and it went something like this:

Traffic Controller: Flight 502, expect immediate take-off.
*pilot thinks they say 'IMMEDIATELY TAKE-OFF'*
Pilot: Roger!
*pilot proceeds down runway*
Everyone in the traffic control room: Huh?! STOP STOP STOP!!!
*crash prevented*

I had a similar situation happen to me last week. I was exchanging some used books at the book store. The clerk has an inventory sheet with the books I turned in and says, "blah blah sign here blah blah". I take my pen and sign the sheet where his finger was pointing. He looks at me with a look that says, "What are you doing?" He then repeats, and this time I hear, "blah blah instead of signing here blah blah".

And that's why I don't fly planes.

0 comments: