Monday, December 10, 2007

Wrapping Up

The semester is wrapping up, but this is the first time I am not thinking, 'the semester is FINALLY wrapping up'. Being a teacher is definitely the way to go. Hard to believe it's been 4 months already.

I teach until next Wednesday and then the next day I am off to 'Real Japan'! I'll be hanging with old exchange students and Jclub members. It'll be a blast. On the 24th, my mom and sister arrive, and we began our trek through the south-eastern portion of Japan. I have spent the past week figuring out where to stay and making the reservations. This is Japan's busiest time of the year (isn't it everywhere?) so finding hotels with availability, that were still cheap, was difficult. But the hotels are set, now I just need to research the train schedules.

We will be going to:
Tokyo - Japan's capital
Fuji Go-ko - Fuji Five Lakes, a town with good views of Mt. Fuji
Nagoya - has a big (replica) castle and mandatory shrines
Kyoto - ex-capital, foreigner haven, geishas, will be here 2 nights
Kumamoto - another big (replica) castle
Fukuoka - parent meeting time

All by train. I cannot wait. What am I looking forward to the most? The food. In Japan, each prefecture is known for a certain dish. In Fukuoka, it's ramen. In Okinawa, it's champuru. And it can move down the hierarchy with cities and villages being known for producing a specific vegetable, fruit, etc. For example, Ogimi (my village) is known for the shekwasha.

I come back on Jan. 6, so I will be away for 2.5 weeks! I plan to post blog entries and pictures as the trip unfolds.

Hear about the Heisman? Seems some Gator won it... Go Tebow!

1 comments:

Son of Higashi said...

What's a 'Heisman?' For that matter, what's a 'Gator?' LOL.