Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fire Drill

Had a fire drill in the afternoon! Exciting enough for a blog post! I was given a little notice as to what was expected from me. My job: grab a fire extinguisher and mime releasing the trigger and spraying.

In America, we are given no advance warning on a fire drill. Just that loud alarm and you run for the hills with the teachers...while the school burns.

What happens in Okinawa is the kids run away, and the teacher's fight the fire. I'm assuming to buy time until the real fire fighters show up. The fire department was actually there with a smoke machine, to simulate the school burning. Some teachers grabbed long hoses and pretended to spray at the fire, while me, the tea lady, and the vice-principal saved the kitchen. All in a day's work.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Tokyo. Will be returning to Okinawa on January 6th! May get to blog while on the trip. If not, また来年!

0 comments: