It's kind of funny that the thought of going to Tokyo a year ago would have felt like the biggest trip in the world, and now it's only a 2 hour flight away (and I get to stay in the same time zone!). However, landing in Tokyo this time gave me a different impression of the city from the last time I was here 4 months ago. The first time was filled with wonder and thank-God-we-finally-landed. This time, I felt a little like Gong Li in The Story of Qiu Ju, the country-bumpkin who travels to the big city. First thing I noticed was the smog. When I arrived in Shibuya, I was dumbfounded by all the people.
I looked the complete tourist, too. Had a small suitcase and a 40 L backpack, plus a map telling me how to get to my hostel. Add in the deer-in-the-headlights look, and there you go. The great thing about my journey to the hostel is the help I got from the locals. I asked one guy for which train I should take and he looked it up on the internet with his phone and told me. Then as I am wandering around Asakusa, I was approached TWO different times from people, who asked me in English, "Can I help you?" I must have looked really lost. The last person was actually a group of three people, and they walked me to the hostel. I told this to some Tokyo friends later and they were all surprised because people from Tokyo have the reputation of being mean.
I brought a large sack of shekwasas with me. I've been handing them out randomly in the holiday spirit. I was about to give one to a homeless man, but I was stopped by my friend. He told me he's seen that guy before running around in circles spitting. No shekwasa for you if you can't behave.
In Which the Showa Does not Go On
2 weeks ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment