Sunday, November 11, 2007

Shioya Sunday

Today was わくわく塩や子のタイム, or Shioya Kid's Fun Time...on a Sunday. I would personally find more fun on a Sunday away from school, but that's just me. I was told there would be food cooked by the kids. Free lunch will get me anywhere. With the help of family, the 3rd, 5th, and 6th graders prepared a feast, while the 1st, 2nd, and 4th graders did arts and crafts.

The most impressive thing was the food the 6th graders caught in the bay that the school sits next to: fish, crab, shark, and ray. Again, kids handled knifes and blow torches. It all feels normal to me now, and I know I'll be having a reverse culture shock when it comes to school kids. A JET's mother visited last week, and she was saying how a teacher is not allowed to touch a kid at all. I can't imagine not giving hugs to my kindergartners or 1st graders.

Updated my Flickr account. Enjoy the slaughter.

0 comments: