Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fukuoka

Last week, I realized it was Thanksgiving when Vaughn asked me, "Are you doing a Thanksgiving lesson tomorrow?". The answer was "no" because it had completely slipped my mind. I was leaving Thursday night for Fukuoka, cause it was a three day weekend. Friday was 'Work Gratitude Day' in Japan, or Labor Thanksgiving.

Got into Fukuoka City around 10:00 p.m. and met some of Yuka's work friends. Afterwards, we stayed at one of her friend's apartment and played Wii Tennis and Monopoly. The evil American capitalist (me) played until he owned every piece of property, which took until 5 am. Found out later they thought it was funny how into it I was. We'll see who's laughing when I increase your interest 5%...

Friday we shopped around a little bit for...my new hard drive! All 160 GB of it. Then we took the hour and half train ride to see Yuka's family. I feel more and more nervous every time I meet them because I feel they are expecting more out of me language wise. Her mom is fine and I can kind of talk to her, but her dad is a brick wall. He likes taking me out to dinner and randomly giving me his old clothes, but most of the time we just sit in awkward silences.

In a bit of irony, found out that he knows the superintendent in Kurume, the town I wanted to be placed in for JET. Had I asked him to say something, I apparently would have gotten my request. I think the Theory of JET Placement proves this wrong, however. I asked if he could mention my transfer request to Kurume, but since he doesn't work there anymore, he can't ask for a favor.

Saturday I had a 'job interview' for a kindergarten in Kurume. The owner is the brother of one of Yuka's friends (I love connections). The kindergarten is a rich-kid's kindergarten, where doctors and the like send their kids to learn English. Job pays $600 less a month than JET, but the work week is 23 hours. It also has a end-of-contract bonus of $1200. I'll take it. Problem is, Japanese schools start in April, to coincide with the coming of spring. So I would begin April 2009. My JET contract will end August 2008. If I get my JET transfer approved, then I won't worry about it, but if I don't...I'll think about that later.

Saturday night, I met up with Josh, the JET from UF who requested Osaka but got the place I wanted. It was nice to FINALLY talk NCAAF to someone. For those who don't keep track, UF demolished FSU last Saturday in what looked like a Div I vs Div III match up. And Tenn winning the SEC East? They are ranked lower than UGA and UF!

This Sunday is the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. The once a year test that foreigners have to take so they can get a job where Japanese is required. There are 4 levels, with 4-kyu being the easiest and 1-kyu being the hardest. Most jobs require a 1-kyu certificate, but the other levels are there to help pace people working their way up (or down depending on how you look at the numbers). I will be taking 3-kyu, with plans to take 2-kyu next year and 1-kyu the year after. Am I ready? Ehh...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Criff,
I was also thinking about requesting Kurume. My friend (who used to live in Kumamoto) suggested it. Good luck with the job!

And I'll add you to my friend list.

Cliff said...

Ooh, what would have been fun times On what grounds would you have tried to transfer on?

Amy said...

I was planning to request Kurume in the beginning of the application process, not as a transfer. I think you can only get transfers for medical reasons (like if you need to be near a certain doctor or medical facility) or maybe if you get married.