Thursday, March 12, 2009

Morning Walking

There was a morning walk on Sunday that all the 6th grade students, teachers, and most of the parents participated in. I'm not to sure what the purpose was, but I think it was a "walk into Junior High"-kinda walk. I was asked last week if I wanted to come along.

"Cliff, want to go on a morning walk this Sunday?"
"Sure! When? How far?"
"Starts at 5 am. 20k."

The hardest part was waking up at 4:15 and driving to the start point. But once everyone started walking, I started to wake up and it really was a lot of fun. I enjoyed seeing how kids from different schools formed into new groups. For example, the one or two bad kids from each school seemed to attract each other to form a bigger bad boy group.

The best part was getting to talk to the shy kids. Usually in the classroom, you have the kids that run their mouths and the other kids that sit in the back and not say much. I use to think these kids were just boring. But on the walk, I had the chance to single them out to chat or quiz them on their English, and most of them turned out to be really cool and wouldn't shut up, while the loud kids seem to become shy in front of their parents.

The walk ended at one of the schools around 10am. We were then driven to another school for lunch. I think I got home around 11:30 and crashed for a good 4 hours.

So that was my first "half-marathon". My first timed one will be on April 11th on Ie Jima.

3 comments:

japalinka said...

sounds great. started at tsuha finished at kijoka? or other way around? long walk, but must have been great with the kids.

Dave said...

I hope you have a better time at Ie. (btw, a half is 21k.)

Cliff said...

Started a bit north of Tsuha, walked around shioya bay, then walked past kijoka, cut through tanagusuku, and ended up at Kijoka. Lots of fun.

And yea, I intend to run Ie in half the time.