Friday, August 08, 2008

The Conbini Factor

I believe it was in The Millionaire Next Door that the author discussed the Latte Factor. If one were to go to Starbucks every morning before work and spend $5, that comes out to $25 a week, $100 a month, and $1200 a year. The author urges the reader to discover their own 'Latte Factor' and drop it.

I've recently discovered mine, the Japanese convenience store, also known as a conbini. They exist practically on every corner, and since it is so hot, I find myself running into them often to buy some water. Taking out my trash last week, I discovered I had about 20-30 bottles that I had collected over the past week and a half. Time to stop.

--

I'm now spending 3 weeks of my summer break in Fukuoka. I'm looking forward to next week, because I'm going to go see The Dark Knight! It will be released in Japan on Saturday, and it will be the first time I have been to a movie theater in a year. Not that Japan doesn't have movie theaters, it's just that northern Okinawa doesn't. If you had told me 2 years ago there would be a time in my life where I would not go to the theaters for a year, I would not have believed you.

Also, today marks my one-year anniversary since arriving in Okinawa. Fastest year of my life. I attribute that to not being school. Time flies when you're having fun, and school sucks. Well, being a student, anyway.

1 comments:

Dave said...

Good for you stopping with the bottled water! Not only will it save you upwards of $30/week, it will save the earth a whole bunch of wasted bottles that have plenty of life left. (p.s. the tap water, despite how popular it is to denounce, is fine. in fact, it's great! and free!)