Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tests and Results

The next few weeks will consist of taking tests and receiving results.

Tests:
Karate - I have been been a 'white belt' since August. My first 'level-up' test (don't know what it's called) is Jan. 26th. I have to perform two kata and some basic kicks and punches.

I am nervous about the test because the kata are difficult to memorize. But because of the test, I had to purchase my own Karate gi! Now I have a slick outfit with a patch that says, "SHUREIDO - Made in Japan, Okinawa, The World Famous Brand From The Birthplace Of Karate".

For those who might be interested, the style of Karate I am learning is called Shuri Shorin.

Kanji Kentei - A Kanji test with the easiest level beginning at 10 and the hardest at 1. The test is designed for native speakers, but foreigners can take it, too. Level 10 represents the kanji learned by first graders up to Level 5, which is the kanji learned by 6th graders. Native speakers have difficulty in the Level 2 range and you have to be part-genius to pass Level 1.

I will be taking Level 8 with the 3rd graders on Feb. 8. If I pass, I think I get a certificate and bragging rights to the 1st and 2nd graders. Actually, I'll be taking the test with some of my 6th graders, who still don't know all the kanji they should.

Results:
JLPT - Took 3-kyu back in December. Because I bombed the listening, I'm not sure if I'll pass or not. Should find out in February.

Transfer Notice - What I am the most impatient about. I have requested to transfer out of Okinawa to Fukuoka. I applied back in November and will hear the results by the end of the month. I am not expecting to get the transfer, because the percentage rate of an out-of-prefecture transfer is very low. But one can dream, right?

If I don't get the transfer, I will not be re-contracting with JET and will have to search for another job come August.

Organic farming, anyone?

0 comments: