Thursday, February 03, 2011

Open House

Last week, Ogimi Elementary had its 村学力向上実践報告会, which is the, uh...village academic improvement practice information session...thing. In America, we just call it 'Open House'. The big difference here is that the parents come to watch an actual class. On a Sunday!

It wasn't just parents who came, but teachers from other schools and important people from the school board. Because of this, the day became a 'big deal', and my teachers spent many hours trying to turn a normal class into a super class.

This year, I was asked to do an English lesson. I didn't think anything of it, because I assumed I would just be doing a normal class in front of an audience. But no, the two months leading up to this had me in meetings with the home room teacher going over every detail with a fine-tooth comb.

The class went off without a hitch, with the exception of my attire. When I am told, "Oh, it's just a normal school day.", I don't think to bring a suit. Yet, 5 minutes before class, the homeroom teacher comes up to me in her newly changed outfit, looks at my track suit, and asks me where my suit was.

Anyway, when the classes were finished, all the visitors headed towards the gym for some English songs the kids performed. After that, there was some 2 hour meeting (that I snuck out of), followed by dinner.

I did some killer piano arrangements for Bingo and If You're Happy and You Know It, and it turns out we made the Okinawa paper (me in casual attire)!

(I got a lot of comments of how 'small' the piano looks with me next to it)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Cliff, are you the guy playing the piano leftside of the newspaper photo?

Wow, you must be wellknown person in your community now.

I didn't know that you can play the piano.

By the way, Japanese graduation time is the end of march.

Would you practice the Japanese song 'Sakura'(さくら、by森山直太郎、もりやま・なおたろう)and play for your students at the graduation?

This is a very touching song for Japanese people. I'm sure that you will give your students a nice memory.

You can check this song from youtube ’さくら’/森山直太郎+合唱

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHupI_7ZFOU 森山直太郎+女子高校生with piano

Please, practice this song and let me know how your students respond to this song with your piano.

Thank you.

Ken

Anonymous said...

It's so small....

Thank you South Park!!

-Heh