Thursday, September 04, 2008

Funny Japanese Words

I had lunch with my 6th graders today, and one of the boys turned to me and says, "Kinky!", and then waited for my reaction. You see, Kinki is a southern-central region of Japan. It is the home of Kinki University and the hometown of the pop band Kinki Kids. (I'm not making this up.) This 6th grader had apparently heard on TV that foreigners find the word funny and he wanted to know what it meant. So I got to explain to everyone what I think of when someone says 'Kinki Kids'.

This was a big hit and it lead them to asking me for more Japanese words that sound funny in English. The only other one I could think of is the drink Calpis. This is a bottled drink with a taste I can't describe. Kinda like a milky-lemonade. Of course when you say it, it sounds like 'cow piss'. This also tickled their 6th-grader-funny-bone.

These two alone entertained them the entire lunch period, but can anyone think of any others?

2 comments:

Son of Higashi said...

My brother liked 本気. 最高 is another good one, especially in context: "That girl is 最高."

Dave said...

i'm not sure what vaughn wrote, but i like Pocari Sweat