Monday, March 31, 2008

Graduation

Two weeks ago was graduation for my kindergarten and four elementary schools. Kindergarten really isn't a graduation ceremony as it is a 'completion' ceremony. I was corrected when I called it graduation, so I figured it wouldn't be that formal and I show up last Wednesday in my normal school attire: track pants and a t-shirt. As if I don't stick out enough. All the parents are in full formal wear...as are the kindergartners. I didn't even know they made suits that size.

The Elementary school graduations followed on Friday, all at the same time. At first I was a little annoyed that I wouldn't be able to attend each one, but this is a blessing in disguise. Graduations are boring. It was 2 hours of speeches by old people. So I would make my appearance at one, then run out again after being there for 30 minutes.

I arrived at my favorite 6th grade class last. Near the end, as the kids were saying their good-byes to the teachers, and songs were sung by the younger kids to the 6th graders, about half of them started to cry. Who cries at an elementary school graduation? I did find myself feeling sad though, cause I realized I wasn't going to be teaching these kids ever again. I didn't cry though. Real men don't cry.

0 comments: